Marshall, MI asked in Divorce for Michigan

Q: Is waiting period for divorce with minor children start when complaint is filed or when spouse is served?

Filed in July 2013...served sept 2013...when does 180 days begin?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Torni Gaudenzi
Tracy Torni Gaudenzi
  • Madison Heights, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: From the date the action was commenced, which is July. However, depending on the Court's docket, it could be longer. Also, depending on the Judge/Court, a portion of this time could be waived if agreed to by both parties and the Judge finds there is compelling reason to do so.

Typically, it takes about 6 months for the case to run it's course through the Court and Friend of the Court. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.