Paola, KS asked in Tax Law for Kansas

Q: Upon hire my then manager left my w4 form blank. no dependents claimed nor federal tax withheld. what can i do?

I started working in may at arbys. my manager whom has now left didnt fill out my w4 . i had no dependents claimed and no federal tax withheld. i was depending on my refund is there anything i can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Louise Long
Jennifer Louise Long
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Detroit, MI

A: Did you confirm that federal taxes were not being withheld. Normally, unless otherwise specified, the default for a W4 is Single 0. So, first check your paystub just to be certain that taxes were not being withheld.

If no taxes were withheld, you may not receive a refund. And worst case scenario, you may owe a federal tax liability. For the future, you need to submit a corrected W4 as soon as possible.

I would encourage you to speak to a tax professional to get an answer that is more tailored to the facts of your case. For example, your filing status on your tax return, expected income, deductions etc, would give your tax professional a better idea of whether you would be due a refund.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.