Bay City, MI asked in Divorce for Michigan

Q: My husband says a judge has signed a divorce decree, I have never been served with it. How do I find it, or disconfirm i

I moved from Texas to michigan one year ago I filed for a divorce after I established legal resisdency, I did it improperly and I have to start over. My husband says he filed a for divorce in Texas. I was served with a petition but no hearing date, i was told not to respond to the petition because i would then be recognising texas courts as an authority over me. I have not been served with the final judgement via certifited mail or a process server. I beliewve it is fake, in this decree there are lies about me and i can provide eye witness statements and marriage counseling documentation. i thought you had to prove the statements you make in a court of law? They are seriously making things up-complete fabrication in this document it is stated that i have history of domestic violence it's not true.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Torni Gaudenzi
Tracy Torni Gaudenzi
  • Madison Heights, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You need to contact an attorney in Texas. The advice that you received regarding responding to the Texas paperwork could only work if you filed here in Michigan as well. Then the states would have to determine who has jurisdiction. However, since you resided in Texas, and he filed first, then it may by difficult to proceed in Michigan absent some other issues (e.g. children). My advice is to contact a Texas attorney ASAP and explain the situation. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.