New Baltimore, MI asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Michigan

Q: Can I petition the court to act as a guardian to speak on his behalf. He is not familiar with legal field and I am.

Had a lawsuit, my son was a minor at the time I was his next friend. The case started when he was 15 he turned 18 years old during the suit. The attorney agreed to handle the case pro bono but after he discovered that there was going to be money on the table he tried to have me sign a fee agreement. However,I told him that was not what was agreed to. An evideniary hearing was held, judge ruled in my favor and now the attorney is pursuing us in the Court of Appeals. I just want to know if I can have the lower court reinstate the case caption so that I can appear in court with my son and speak on his behalf. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: I do not understand why you are asking this question. Generally, you have to be a licensed attorney to be able to speak on behalf of a litigant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.