My 11yr son mother wants to change his name to her married last name. Do I have a right to say no? We were never married

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Paula J. Mcgill

Answered 10 months ago

Have you legitimated your son? If not, and you want to oppose the name change, now is the time to file a petition for legitimation and file the objection.

If you have already legitimated your son, file the objection.

You may want to schedule a meeting with an attorney to discuss your options in full, including legitimation, the name change, and formal visitation.