Reno, NV asked in Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: I'm making payments to the state of Pennsylvania for back child support and consistently make those payments monthly.

I recently opened a bank account to save some money to try to get my own place to live and the account was seized. Is there anything I can do to get access to that money or is it gone for good?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rachel Lea Hunter
Rachel Lea Hunter
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: As long as there are arrears, they can be enforced like a money judgment on steroids. Wages can be garnished, bank accounts levied, tax refunds intercepted, licenses can be suspended and assets could be attached. How much money did you have in the bank?

You need to see a family law attorney. There is a $300 exemption for money judgments which can be claimed if more than that was seized but I don't know if this would apply to child support (I don't know why it wouldn't but it would be better to get this confirmed). Was more than that seized here? Lesson here is not to have a bank account or other assets in your name until the arrearages are paid off.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.