Auburn, MA asked in Family Law for New York

Q: Would my daughter have more rights than the grandparents to get custody of my son if something happens to me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Alexander Richman
Jason Alexander Richman
  • River Edge, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: In the question of providing for children in the event of the untimely death of a parent or parents, it is important to draft a will with a trusts and estates attorney. It is much less complicated and expensive than most people think it is. However, because so many factors enter in to the custody of minor children in the absence of a will, it would be difficult to answer this question in the absence of significant additional details. Talk to a lawyer and draft a will specifying your wishes on this issue at least.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.