Iowa City, IA asked in Bankruptcy for Iowa

Q: My ex-wife is filing for chapter 7

How will this affect me? Do i need to do anything? I have 3 joint credit cards that I took in our divorce.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Lambert
Kelly Lambert
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer

A: You need to review your Judgment of Divorce. After she files for bankruptcy, you will be solely responsible for repayment of the 3 joint credit cards. If, in your judgment of divorce, it is ordered that she pay these cards, it is possible that you can bring her back into court and file a motion requesting repayment of these amounts.

Kelly G Lambert III

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.