Asked in Family Law for Minnesota

Q: The father of my daughter was in jail from 2004-2009 for sexual crime can he get custody of her? He's not seen her in 8

He lives in minn and i live in illinois... Hes trying to say he can go to court and get custody... He hasn't seen her in 8 yrs... He says he has rights.. I have never gotten a dime for support and she doesn't even know him...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Bullock
Kristen Bullock
  • Saint Paul, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: More information would be needed to fully answer this question. However, I would not get overly concerned about father's threats unless you get served with court papers as it seems like he has some issues that would make it difficult for him to get custody. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions as I do offer phone consultations - 651.270.6484.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.