Warwick, NY asked in Family Law for New York

Q: I have 2 kids with my ex husband he has been paying child support with no court order am I entilted to child support

First if he had another child since we split up she is taking him to court so I want to make sure my kids will still be takin care of even though we dont have a court order

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yasmin Gamboa
Yasmin Gamboa
  • Belleville, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: Yes, your children are always entitled to child support, regardless of how many children the father has total. You don't need a court order to get child support, you do need one if he stops child support. Keep records of how much he gives you and how often, that way should he stop giving you child support you can then file for court order of child support and you will have a record of what he has paid in the past.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.