Bronx, NY asked in Family Law for New York

Q: my friend kid's are in the system and she wants to give me full custody of both her kid's, how fast is the process?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yasmin Gamboa
Yasmin Gamboa
  • Belleville, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: Getting custody of children that are in the system depends on many factors. If ACS is involved, she can't just give you custody, since ACS has custody.Usually immediate family can petition for custody, not friends. She can make a request to ACS and they may be able to be fostered to you, if you qualify. ACS would do an investigation to see if you are fit to foster. If by her giving you full custody means she is resigning her rights and you are adopting them, that is a different process and you would need an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.