Asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I have a 2 and 1/2 year old son. Is it illegal to have my son around my boyfriend who I've been with for a yr now?

My son's father and I don't get along. We've been battling for custody and support. Our support hearing isn't until next year. I need to know my rights

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rachel Lea Hunter
Rachel Lea Hunter
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Its not illegal unless there is a court order specifically mentioning that your child is not to be around your boyfriend (for example, if he is a child abuser, your ex may understandably not want his child exposed to that kind of person).

You really need to discuss this with your divorce/child custody attorney. Custody and support are 2 entirely different things. Being around your boyfriend is only going to relate to child custody. Child support is based on who has possession of the child. Your ex probably does not want to pay you any child support and may be seeking custody so he will not have to pay or not have to pay as much. As part of the custody battle, he may seek to use the fact that you have a boyfriend as a possible issue why he should have custody. Maybe he will try to argue you are not a fit mother because you have this boyfriend or maybe he will try to argue that the boyfriend is unsavory or maybe he will argue that he just does not want his child exposed to this individual. I don't know but you must be prepared to counter these arguments so if you do not already have a family law attorney you may need one.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.