Newark, NJ asked in Family Law for New York

Q: If my 19 Yr old son moves out on his own do I gotta pay child support

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yasmin Gamboa
Yasmin Gamboa
  • Belleville, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: Although the age of majority is 18, for child support purposes NY law, in most circumstances, makes you financially responsible for your child until 21. However, if your child becomes financially self-supporting and live apart from both parents or gets married, joins the military, etc. you may be allowed by the court to stop child support. Again, you can't just stop, you must go to court and ask to stop. Also, if you child is in college but lives apart, you may still have to pay child support. You could come to an agreement with your adult child to forgo your duty and it has to be approved by court.

So the very short answer - is you need to go to court and ask permission to stop Child support payments because your son is emancipated.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.