Chicago, IL asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: My ex didnt go after me for child support and now two years and 3 months later wants it even though i pay half of stuff

Will he get it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Lambert
Kelly Lambert
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Child support is the right of the child. It can be requested at any time. Most likely, it cannot be back-dated 3 1/2 years. Support will be calculated and put in place from the date the Motion requesting it was filed. Make sure you keep documentation of any money given during this process - it may be able to be deducted. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the details.

Kelly G Lambert III

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.