Columbia, PA asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I'm currently pregnant and still with my boyfriend. Can I get custody of our daughter even if we're still dating?

I'm 23 years old. We've been living together for a little over a year. We're not married. I make more money than him. He has a 4 year son from his last relationship and pays child support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Robert Tabano
Steven Robert Tabano
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Your marital status has nothing to do with either custody or child support. However, neither a custody or support case can begin until after the child is born. A father has an obligation to support his children and also has the right to custody time with the child (although this is usually very limited in cases involving newborns). The fact that you make more money than him doesn't matter. He still has an obligation to support all of his children. The court will use a formula (guidelines) which takes into account his existing child support obligation for his son and determine how much he should have to pay you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.