Marion, IN asked in Libel & Slander for Indiana

Q: Can we sue over someone bad mouthing us?

My husband repaired someones vehicle. He charged them considerably less then he has charged others for the same repair. Approximately 2 months after the return of the vehicle it started acting up again. When my husband found out he tried to make contact with the owner to check the vehicle out. The owner would not return communication though. My husband checked to see what warranty was on the parts he had purchased to put on the vehicle. We have now been informed by 3 different people that the owner of the vehicle is saying that my husband ripped him off and has not made any attempt to fix his car. He is also threatening to sue us for the repairs. Two of the people that have contacted us about the threat of a lawsuit and the defamation are repair shop owners whom my husband works very closely with for his job. Do we have legal recourse for liable in this case and if so what kind of attorney should we look for?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Coe
Timothy Coe
  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: I would say that the best thing to do is that if you get sued by the car owner to counterclaim for defamation, and any other tings you might be able to think of. Defamation is a complicated area of the law, so I'd recommend talking to a local lawyer to whom you can tell all of the facts within the attorney-client relationship.

Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.