Allentown, PA asked in Family Law for New York

Q: I was granted sole legal and physical custody of my child. My ex is living with my child in PR. How do I get my child?

My ex did not particiapte in custody hearings and did not appear neither in person or via phone. I hired a private investigator to locate my ex in order to serve the court papers and was able to do so. Now that I've been awarded full sole custody, and I want to get my child. Do I have to fly to Puerto Rico to get my child? Who can I bring with me to enforce custody? Are there any juristriction issues that will prevent me from getting my child?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Provda
Bruce Provda
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Puerto Rico should honor your custody order. Howeverr, you would need to hire an attorney guide you through the red tape that this sure to arise between the territory and the state. You would get a NY attorney who may then align withh an attorney in Puerto Rico. You may eventually have to go there to pick up your child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.