Springville, UT asked in Criminal Law for Utah

Q: If you are extradited from one state to another one do you have to do probation still in the first state

I was incarserated in california and when my

prision time was done i was extradited to utah for

felony charge. now im done with utah, and

sentenced but now california probation is saying i

have to do probation in california i was told since

i was extradited california relinquished me and i

would not have to do probation im confused and

need to know my rights

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Norman Anderson III
Carl Norman Anderson III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: When you were extradited, California relinquished their right to hold you, but they did not relinquish their right to supervise you. If your sentence included a term of probation or if a condition of your release was parole, then California has the right to supervise and can issue a bench warrant for your failure to comply with that supervision. However, you should contact an attorney in order to determine if California would agree to allow you to comply with probation in Utah or if they would allow whatever you did in Utah to satisfy the requirements of California.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.