Plymouth, WI asked in Criminal Law for Wisconsin

Q: Can you get probation consecutive to extended supervision

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Allan Nelson
David Allan Nelson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • West Bend, WI

A: A sentence of probation or extended supervision should not be imposed to (start) following an existing period of probation or extended supervision. A sentence of incarceration, jail time, or prison time, can be imposed to be served after the completion of an existing incarceration period. If a new crime is committed, that crime can involve a new bifurcated sentence that involves initial confinement and extended supervision. However the new sentence would not involve probation or extended supervision that begins following the completion of an existing probation or extended supervision, but would rather involve the new sentence simply being imposed as is (possibly with probation or extended supervision as a component) and that time would begin running immediately, possibly running concurrently with an existing probation period or extended supervision period effectively lengthening the time that the person will now be on probation or extended supervision. However one probationary period does not begin upon the other one ending.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.