Brentwood, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: I currently have the Deferred Action. I recently got married and my husband is a US citizen. Can he change my status?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christina Marie Turovskiy
Christina Marie Turovskiy
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH

A: This depends on a number of things. How did you enter the US (entry without inspection, on a tourist visa, etc.)? Have you remained in the US since? When did you file for and when were you approved for deferred action? Did you accrue any unlawful presence? Dependent on these answers and more, you can likely obtain status through your relationship but your immigration history is very important in determining what your next steps will be and also how long/expensive that process will be. Please contact an experienced immigration attorney ASAP for a free case assessment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.