New Egypt, NJ asked in Libel & Slander for Indiana

Q: Online Libel

An unknown person or persons has published libelous information about me on some website that's supposed to be used for consumer reviews and complaints. They said I'm a hacker, identity thief, stalker, etc. One of them used a name I've never heard of and claimed she had a relationship with me where I physically and sexually abused her, and that she had to get a restraining order against me. I've never been served with a restraining order from anyone in my life! The website appears to be located in another country (they hide their actual information behind a whois guard service based in Panama). Is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Coe
Timothy Coe
  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Yes, you can file a case for defamation and name John or Jane Does as defendants, as well as the company, until you find out who they are by serving the company with subpoenas to produce the IP addresses of the posters. It will take a little work, but if these statements are damaging your reputation to the point that something needs to be done, then go for it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.