Tampa, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Can I withdraw money from Joint Bank Account after my husband's Court Removal due to Domestic Violence?

Due of domestic violence, my husband was removed from the home. The hearing is pending but in the meantime, I am responsible for everything (rent, utilities, transportation, our autistic toddler's needs).

My child is not getting child support and I already withdrew half the money from the joint bank account the day he was served, which wasn't much and used it to pay for rent, transportation, food and my kids necessities. I have no green card and can't work. He is not paying child support because it hasn't being determined and he won't even buy our child's necessities out of good faith. He is not paying rent since he is living with his mother.

They are going to suspend our electricity because it is due tomorrow. Will I get in trouble for paying the electric bill with the money on the joint account? The amount has increased because they deposit his salary there and he doesn't have to pay for much other than can insurance and collaborate with the food he is getting over at his mom's.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Natalie Hall
Natalie Hall
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If it is a joint account then you may use the money for reasonable and necessary expenses related to the home and the child. Keep receipts and proof of all spending and make sure these are necessities. You should ask for child support at the domestic violence hearing. If you are not able to or the court does not address support, then you may file a request with the circuit court where you reside with the child for a determination of child support.

Note - the information presented here should not be construed to be formal legal advice or the formation of an attorney/client relationship

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.