Salina, KS asked in Family Law for Kansas

Q: My husband is in lansing ks prison we have no assets together or children what is the procedure I need to follow

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth McRae
Kenneth McRae
  • Leawood, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: You will need to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage in District Court. You will then need to arrange to serve a copy of the pleadings on your husband in prison. Depending on how long you have been married there may be issues of property and debt, even if you maintained everything is separate names. Even if there are no issues in dispute, the Court will not finalize a divorce for a minimum of 60 days after it is filed (although there are some exceptions). You should consult an experienced family law practitioner in your area for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.