Hot Springs National Park, AR asked in Immigration Law for Arkansas

Q: Unopposed Motion to Administratively Close Proceedings what is that means? is it good thing or bad?

what is the plus and minus about this decision?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christina Marie Turovskiy
Christina Marie Turovskiy
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH

A: First, this is not a "decision." This means the government does not oppose a motion filed on your behalf to administratively close your removal proceedings. You are not a top priority for deportation at the moment based on your specific circumstances. It sounds as though you have an attorney and he or she filed a motion to essentially put your case temporarily on a shelf where the government won't touch it and will not pursue removing you so as to allow you the opportunity to pursue a form of relief so as to stay here. An example of this is if you have a US citizens spouse who will petition for you -- the judge may administratively close your case until a decision is made on that petition. If and when the petition is approved, you may then go back and move to recalendar and terminate removal proceedings to end the proceedings permanently. To answer your question - the plus is a big one: the government is not actively pushing to remove you from this country and is likely allowing you some type of opportunity to fight now (or maybe later when you are eligible, again depending on your circumstances) for some form of relief from removal. The minus is your case is not yet permanently terminated -- you still likely have some additional steps with which you need to complete and then you can end removal proceedings permanently. If you actually do not have an attorney or your attorney is not doing a good job of informing you of all of the above, consider reaching out to an experienced immigration attorney who can help you eventually close your removal proceedings permanently.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.