Avon, IN asked in Libel & Slander for Indiana

Q: Can I be sued for telling others about things that actually happened?

This is more related to my wife. She was in Las Vegas celebrating a friends 30th birthday. A very close male friend of ours that is also married was there for business at the same time and they met up for drinks. He made sexual advances towards her that were rejected. He is now claiming that he will take legal action if he interprets anything she says or text to others regarding the issue as slander or libel. Can that happen?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Coe
Timothy Coe
  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: In Indiana truth is an absolute defense to libel or slander, which I will call defamation. Because of the absolute defense other torts that are recognized in other jurisdictions are not in Indiana. A defamation case requires 4-5 elements; 1. a false statement, 2. about the plaintiff, 3. published to a third party, 4. damage to the plaintiff's reputation, (5. strict liability, negligence, or what is called actual malice. That analysis depends on the status of the person being defamed, or the subject matter of the statement if it a public figure, or a matter of public concern).

Defamation is a complicated field of the law, and you should definitely speak to a local lawyer to whom you can tell all the facts.

Best of luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.