Asked in White Collar Crime for Kansas

Q: I signed a contract to invest in a friends LLC. Now I find there is no such LLC. He ignoring me. Is that a crime?

I have a contract from him stating that I am purchasing 1.3% of XYZ LLC and that this is part of another greater LLC but none of these LLC's exist. I now feel he's running a Ponzi scheme. He keeps me in the dark about other partners and I have since moved out of state. I can't afford to spend $10,000 in legal fees to get my $10,000 back. Is there at least a criminal complaint I can file? What type of evidence would I need to present to the attorney general.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: Sounds like fraud to me. Perhaps you should report it as a crime. Present the contract and the cancelled check or evidence that you paid him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.