Tipton, MO asked in Traffic Tickets for Missouri

Q: Do I need a lawyer for my speeding ticket?

About three months ago I was stopped for speeding in a 65 MPH zone. At the time of my passenger and I seeing the police officer we were traveling over 90 MPH. The officer clocked us at 95 MPH.

I had recently started going to therapy appointments - actually about three months before this incident - and have been placed on two anti-depressants and multiple anxiety medications.

A couple weeks before this incident I changed from the first, to the second anti-depressant due to severe side-effects being exhibited by the medication. I was prescribed Zoloft and have been taking it since.

When the incident occurred I have a moment of what can only be described as impaired cognition, which is one of the many side effects I was exhibiting from the use of the first anti-depressant.

I am clearly guilty of the crime, but I do not know what I should do in this situation. Should I contact a lawyer to handle my case or just plead not guilty and take my chances with the judge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Hahn
Andrew Hahn
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You should hire an attorney to help with your case. It is likely that an attorney will be able to get your ticket dismissed or reduced.

Call around and find an attorney that you like.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.