Parkersburg, WV asked in Family Law for West Virginia

Q: should i be worried about going to jail. my child support is behind

I had a child and some health problems which stopped me from working. Im getting ready to start work as soon as my doctor clears me for work, but I have a court date coming up and am scared I might go to jail before I get a chance to work.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Seth S. Gaskins
Seth S. Gaskins
  • Licensed in West Virginia

A: You have a legal obligation to pay child support. You are at risk of being held in contempt if you do not comply with the order. In West Virginia, if you are more than $7,000.00 in arrears, then you are guilty of a felony.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.