Fairfield, VA asked in Family Law for West Virginia

Q: Custody for 9 year old little boy , I've been taken care of for 7 months now

My Husband & I have Been taking care of my cousins 9 year old for almost 7 months. The father just recently got released from jail after nearly 4 years. He has seen the child 1 time since His release date. The mother is willing to sign her rights over to my husband and I. Is she able to do so wo the child being taken from us and given to the father. He refuses to sign over his rights to my husband.

The mother states she can't handle the child & the father says he can't take care of him through out the week but doesn't bother making contact with him. He's required by court order to have supervised visitation through a program but has failed to set anything since he's been out ( almost 3 months ). He's paying child support to the mither . we have had no help from either 2 since December 19th 2015. I have no idea on what to do. I don't want to continue raising this child for them to just rip him away from us when they feel parent worthy & I can't continue to let them walk in and out of l

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Seth S. Gaskins
Seth S. Gaskins
  • Licensed in West Virginia

A: You should sit down with an experienced family law attorney. You are talking about filing for custody of the child. These cases can be complex.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.