Chicago, IL asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: If I missed my second court date for no insurance will I lose court supervision?

Got a ticket for no insurance went to court got a fine and was placed under court supervision got issued another date to pay fine and show proof of insurance again but mixed up the times so I missed court.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
William Harold Mazur
William Harold Mazur
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It's possible that the judge will revoke the supervision and issue a stricter punishment. You should never miss a court date whether it is criminal or civil. The best thing you can do now is to show up at the next hearing and explain how you mixed up the times. Having an attorney represent you would be advisable as well. And make sure you have your proof of insurance. It would be good if you could show that you obtained insurance very shortly after the first hearing so it looks like you complied with the judge's order.

Best of luck.

Jason A. Wilkins
Jason A. Wilkins
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Carol Stream, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Hello Asker,

First, you must ascertain what judgment the court made. The most likely culprit is something called a petition to revoke. This is a VERY serious event as it can precipitate the revocation of your supervision. The danger here is that a conviction for operating an uninsured motor vehicle results in a mandatory insurance suspension when reported to the secretary of state. This will result in a 3 or 6 month suspension with the potential for a much higher fine as they can resentence you. Ordinarily, these fines are around $1000-$2000.

Second, you should immediately contact an attorney. Depending on whether your case was a local prosecution or state prosecution, the window for bringing in back into court may vary in its restrictiveness. In some cases, court is convened once a month making timing very important when it comes to resolving this case favorably. Whatever happens, your attorney will likely need to file a motion to vacate whatever action was taken on the date of your action and quickly. As we speak, a license suspension is likely being processed.

Third, you should contact the secretary of state and ensure you have an updated address on file. This will ensure you receive notices from them indicating any pending suspensions and prevent you from driving on a suspended license. To confirm or deny your suspension status, you should use the 24 hour automated system available for checking license statuses with the secretary of state.

Finally, you should speak to your insurance provider about SR-22. If you received court supervision, it was a requirement that you maintain SR-22 for a period of 36 months continuously. Failure to do so will result in a suspension until it is resolved. Absent a dismissal of the insurance ticket, this ticket will EITHER suspend you or require carrying SR-22 so be conscious that it is a requirement of ANY court supervision order whether stated in court or not.

If you have any questions, please feel free to respond.


Jason A. Wilkins

Attorney at Law

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.