Bronx, NY asked in Bankruptcy for New York

Q: Should I be paying a private student loan debt that is listed on my credit report as discharged?

I filed for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and had my debt discharged in January 2010. I noticed on my credit report that my private Chase student loan was included in the bankruptcy and it says that it was discharged but I have been paying on it for years. Is this just an error on my credit report? or is this a debt that I should not be paying? I'm so confused.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin W. Chern Esq.
Kevin W. Chern Esq.
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: The best source of information about what was and was not discharged in your bankruptcy case will be the attorney who represented you in that case. If you were not represented by an attorney in your bankruptcy case, refer to your paperwork. If you do not have your schedules and discharge order, you can obtain a copy from the bankruptcy case.

If you are uncertain or discover that you have been making payment on a discharged debt, you would do well to consult a consumer protection attorney before taking any action.

*Kevin Chern is Managing Partner of UpRight Law, a national law firm with licensed attorneys providing bankruptcy and consumer legal services in all 50 states. He is an Illinois licensed attorney with 21 years of federal consumer bankruptcy and consumer protection law experience. This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. For legal advice, consult an attorney licensed in your state with the appropriate expertise.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.