Harpers Ferry, WV asked in Real Estate Law for West Virginia

Q: I was placed on the Deed 3 years after my parents got their mortgage. My Mother died. My father stopped making payments.

I was placed on the Deed 3 years after my parents got their mortgage. My Mother died. My father stopped making payments. The house is nearing courthouse sale. I was never placed on the mortgage and I don't think the bank was ever notified that I was placed on the Deed. How can the bank take 50% of my house. Seems to me they can not secure my half of the house in the foreclosure. I can't find any answers to my situation. It has been 16 years since my parents placed me on the deed and in that time they did modifications which I also did not sign. It seems to me like I still own 50% of my home and the bank failed to secure my 50%. What do I need to check? They are claiming they are closing on a Prommisary note that was executed 3 years prior to my being placed on the deed. It’s been 16 years since I signed the deed. This is urgent. Please let me know what my rights are. ASAP. Thanks. This is urgent please. I didn't get any notices about the foreclosure till a month before sale.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If your parents transferred a half interest in the property to you, it was done subject to the bank's interest. By the way, the transfer may have been prohibited by a "due on sale" clause in the mortgage. In any event, simply because your parents transferred an interest in the property after they executed the mortgage doesn't affect the bank's right to foreclose if the loan isn't being paid as agreed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.