Rupert, ID asked in Bankruptcy for Idaho

Q: If a joint property owner files bankruptcy and the primary is not informed and than sued, what are my options?

I added a person to my deed of property under promise of marriage after four years. He in turn abandonds myself and property three months later. He has recently filed bankruptcy and listed my property. He was able to keep his seperate home and now the lawyers are trying to make me sale mine to pay his debts. I was never informed of a bankrupscy involving my residence. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Gambrell
Robert Gambrell
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Hernando, MS

A: You have a problem. A chapter 7 trustee may be entitled sell the entire parcel and give you your half of the net proceeds unless you purchase the half interest that the chapter 7 trustee has in the property.

You need to contact an experienced bankruptcy attorney ASAP. You can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.