Brooklyn, NY asked in Family Law and Public Benefits for New York

Q: How can I get relief from arrears if all children are in my custody?

Single mom was on public assistance when put on child support not knowing until Court papers came in mail. Now has children back and has 3 other kids to raise. Just got a job may 2015 as a waitress making under minimum wage. Got a termination of order Aug 2015 but was Informed she has to pay $400+ every 2 weeks out paycheck. Which is all her pay. Please help

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: You need to have a full discussion with a local family attorney. What you need is specifically tailored legal advice, and you cannot get that for free on the internet.

Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You cannot get relief from arrears unless the child support recipient consents to waive arrears. Essentially, the court was forced to abdicate its authority in imposing and then vacating arrears in child support (the Bradley Amendment). This empowers the mother to decide whether she will keep or give away her arrears. This causes the problem you now face of having to support all your kids and at the same time having to disgorge money to the mother and face all of the ridiculous collection procedures to include loss of licenses, garnishments of bank accounts, loss of passport, attachment of your property to include your automobile and all the theory stuff.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.