Marlinton, WV asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for West Virginia

Q: My 18 year old son has a 8 month old daughter with a 17 year old girl. Can the girl agree to custody and visitation.

The maternal grandmother says because the babies mother is a minor that she would be the one talking to the judge. The maternal grandma is trying to call all the shots.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: I don't know specifically how it works in West Virginia, but in many places a guardian ad litem (or attorney ad litem) would be appointed to represent the interests of the mother under these circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.