Post Falls, ID asked in Employment Law and Insurance Defense for Idaho

Q: My employer dropped one disabilty carrier and now we have a new one which can I file with??

I have been working a modified work schedule since 6/2014. I filed for short term disability thru my employer which i pay up on. The short term was for carpal tunnel. I continued to stay working the same modified schedule due to fibromyalgia and raynauds. I was denied long term and all payments stopped 9/2014. My employer dropped this carrier and a new carrier started 12/2014 and i started to file a claim with them and was told no i need to continue to file with the company i filed with already. Then a few months later i was told i could file as long if it was for a different condition. It was for fibro and raynauds the 2 conditions i did not file with the other company. Now again I am told no I can not. Why am I even paying into this benefit when I can not even use to help when i need it. I keep getting back and forth information. Who can I file with??

1 Lawyer Answer

A: Your injury was incurred when you were covered by the first carrier. Although the conditions you are attempting to file for are new, they apparently resulted from the period of employment when coverage was by the first carrier, so you should file with that carrier. Whey you were told you "could file as long if it was for a different condition", what they meant was if it was for a NEW condition (one which did not result from when the first carrier was covering your employment).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.