Wantagh, NY asked in Divorce and Family Law for New York

Q: Am I responsible for my adult child's criminal defense for a matter that occurred at college?

I am the noncustodial parent. I am up to date on child support and college payments. My child was caught on campus with marijuana. He was 18 years old when this happened. My ex got him a lawyer to have the matter dismissed and sealed. I was not informed nor consulted about this, just given a bill. My ex insists that since it occurred on college campus and my child would have been kicked out of school there was no other choice. My ex says the attorneys fees are part of the mandated college payments since it occurred on campus and my child would not have been able to return to school. In the same manner, I have also been given parking tickets that occurred at college and am being told again that since it occurred on the college campus, I am responsible under the divorce agreement for any "related" college payments.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: No. Your ex is pulling your leg.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.