Shellsburg, IA asked in Real Estate Law for Iowa

Q: Can a mobile home park owner give away abandoned homes in Iowa?

There is a mobile home in our rural park that was abandoned and left all trashed out. It was the home for feral cats and more. The floor was rotted way, windows knocked out, skirting off in most areas, just very trashy. The owner of the court is very tight with his money and didn't want to pay to have it condemned so he put it in the paper advertised as free home. The couple who moved in are filthy and lived in this place without a water heater for 9 months. They have 3 big dogs and a cat who all urinate inside and it smells awful!! The place is only a 2 bed and 1 bath. No room for the dogs to even move. My question is, can this owner give away trashy places like this and not make the people clean them up?. While we neighbors have to look at the piles of trash outside and very run down mobile home? Now he's giving away 3 more that are almost as bad as this one. This is in a county where there are no housing codes. Can he do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Basically, you are asking if something can be done which has already been done. The point here is what can you do about what has already happened. You could band together with other residents, for instance, and go see a local real estate attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.