Littleton, CO asked in Education Law for Colorado

Q: School District not protecting elem school students from a possibly dangerous child. What can I do

My son is 5th gr. has been an unhealthy fixation for a fellow student (4 yrs now). This other child is labeled has having anger issues and therefor has an IEP. He has been a problem for students, teachers and school administrators. This child is a loner so my son tried to befriend him thinking that would help him not be son mean (in 1st gr). That didn't last long because of this childs mean/hateful actions. My son has just tried to co-exist with this student. Its been escalating to where he has broken a child's nose, and on Friday sucker punch my child to the face. The district has files on this indiv. but it seems their hands are tied and obviously 4 years isn't enough time to figure this out. I'm quite concerned this can escalate even more and the outcome not so easily corrected. I'm at a son and others are not in a safe learning environment. This students needs supercedes those of the rule abiding kids that actually want to learn. Help..what can I do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Go speak with the administration about these problems. If that does not get something resolved, go seek the advice of a local attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.