Asked in DUI / DWI for Iowa

Q: Is it possible to get my license suspension shortened after 3 OWIs?

I am almost 24 and I am trying to push forward in my life. I am attending a great college and have pursued a civil engineering degree. Not being able to have my license has been very difficult for me. I got a OWI when I was 18 for marijuana and 19 for alcohol. My last one was about two years ago also for alcohol. I know it isn't easy after abusing it three times, but I am determined to fight for a new life. I have been involved in community service. I attended many AA meetings. I've been sober for almost two years. I attended a halfway house for three months. I've paid all my fines. I am a good guy who went down the wrong path and am now willing to do whatever it takes to get my license back. I have met a woman I want to marry and am driving for a civil engineering career. I am currently attending church every Sunday and religion has become a big part of my life. Any advice or help is gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: What you need is specifically tailored legal advice, but it would not hurt to read the statutes which deal directly with this issue. For instance a suspension for five years in my state can be shortened to two if you jump through the right hoops. Call and ask the people at the dmv what you need to do to get the license reinstated. They are usually very helpful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.