North Pole, AK asked in Immigration Law for Alaska

Q: Chance of successful Green Card application after prolonged visa lapse.

I entered the United States late 2008 on a visa waiver with intention of leaving (booked flight etc). Married US citizen and began AOS process to find out spouse's income did not meet required amount for sponsorship. I have no criminal record, I haven't traveled and haven't worked. Could a green card application be successful at this point? The spouses income has increased significantly and shouldn't be an issue. I believe I need to file an I-130 & I-485, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Glendale, CA

A: If the spouse's income was not enough you could have found a co sponsor who would have been willing to sponsor you. This is very common so contact an immigration attorney as soon as possible to help you with this. All the best.

Shan D Potts,

(323)-803 7147

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.