Olathe, KS asked in Family Law for Kansas

Q: My fiance and I bought a home together, we just separated. What money is she entitled to? I made the whole down paymen

We purchased a home in 2012. Together for many years. I made 100% of the 20% down payment (30 thousand dollars) we both then made equal payments of 325$ (total monthly was 750$. All the way to this point. Caught her cheating on me, she left. Credit is not excellent to get her off the house, but it will be next week and I will proceed to do that. I saw an email from her asking if she should sue for what she put into the house. 95% of the payments we made went straight to interest and not equity.

Is she entitled to any money whatsoever? Can a judge force me to sell the house as opposed to having her name simply removed.

We are on title as Joint. Not tenants. I am the main borrower.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: She can probably hire a lawyer to bring a partition action. That basically means that yes, a judge can force you to sell the property and divide the proceeds according to the law in Kansas. How much has the property increased in value since you purchased it? Perhaps you should offer her one half of the increase in value since the purchase. The best thing to do is go see a lawyer about these things. Often times, people will settle for far less than what they are entitled to if the case goes to court.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.