Britton, SD asked in Criminal Law and Native American Law for South Dakota

Q: I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get my felony drug conviction reduced. I have finished my sentence

I was convicted of possession with intent to distribute while I was going to college in Albuquerque NM. The school I was going to was a Federal Native American College. The security guard said he stopped me because "smoke was rolling out of my windows" when I was pulling on to the campus. This statement is false, and if the county sheriff who followed me while I was pulling into the campus had a camera, it would show that there was no smoke at all coming out. The sheriff never stopped me, but was called over after the campus security guard stopped me. I believe I was discriminated against because I am a mixed blood native American, and I look like I am a Caucasian man, I am also very tall and have colored eyes. I am hoping to get it reduced to help me finish college and become a teacher. I never sold drugs ever in my life, and the night we got pulled over I smoked for the first time just the day before.

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: Probably not at this stage. Perhaps you should have a full discussion with a post conviction relief attorney in Albequerque

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.