Athens, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: My boyfriend pays child support for his 2 kids already, what happens if i get pregnant and need help financially?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric J. Garber
Eric J. Garber
  • Augusta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you cannot work out an arrangement between yourselves, you will need to file an action against your boyfriend to establish his paternity of the child (i.e., prove via DNA testing that he is the biological father of the child) and his obligation to pay child support on behalf of the child. If you cannot afford an attorney to do so, you can contact the Georgia Department of Human Services' Division of Child Support Services and ask that they file such an action on behalf of the child against the father. Either way, you should speak with a local family law attorney at your earliest opportunity to discuss this matter if you do in fact become pregnant, as each case is different and there may be other options to get what you need.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.