Jacksonville, AR asked in Estate Planning for Arkansas

Q: My dad remarried under 2 yrs prior to passing. Because he leaves a wideo, does she trump his 2 living aires ?

His aires 1 son & 1 daughter. The widow never filed his will. Because dad was a perfectionist, and was specific in wanting to leave his home to his children and grandchildren as the on going family home, it was deceit for the widow to withhold registering his will in court. Does these actions reflect no access for his living aires the right to any of our father's keepsakes?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL

A: The word is "heirs". If there is a will, she doesn't have a choice whether or not it is filed in court. It is not clear what interest you have in the matter, but if they can prove that there was a will leaving the home to him, the children should insist that the will be honored and the home be distributed to them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.