Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Utah

Q: can i get my dog back after ive gave him away to someone its been less then twenty four hours ?

i have a choc. lab two years old and hes chipped and is current on all shots and fixed aa well. he seems to always get out .animal control pickes him up and this has happend several times ive always paid to get him back. yesterday thy told my husband that thy has someone who wanted to adopt him and thy threatend him with jail and a ticket and said that we will end up having to give up my dog any ways maybe not then but thats what the end reality thy said was to happen .so not thinking right i got him out of the pound and gave him away i feel like thy kinda made me do it .i didnt want to give him away its been less then twenty four hours can i get him back please

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian K Jackson
Brian K Jackson
  • Bountiful, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You can appeal what happened and say that you weren't given any written notice of forfeiture (unless they did) and that you gave up your dog under duress and coercion of the officer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.