Saint Petersburg, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Legally married/separated, but child has different bio dad, can bio dad get visitation or custody?

I have been married but separated for 5 years during which I had a child with another man. No one is lost ed on the birth certificate and my husband is the child's legal father by default, can the biological father file for any parental rights or visitation? He was there for the birth an nothing more, completely understand uninvolved with the child due to safety concerns.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Deltona, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have touched upon one of the most complicated areas of the law in Florida. What you need to do is have a full discussion with a local family lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.