Estes Park, CO asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: I was sentenced in May 2015 to 24 hours community service and an anger management class. I haven't done my sentence yet

Because I filed with the the court an intent to appeal. I don't seem to have an appeal though. Is it possible to ask the judge to suspend my sentence. I am a first time offender, and I did not do what I was found guilty of.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Talk to a lawyer about your options. You can ask the judge to suspend the sentence until your appeal is decided, but it is judicial discretion on whether to suspend your sentence. Also, be aware that there is a very short period of time to appeal a conviction; the notice of appeal can be as little as 10 days after final conviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.