Asked in Intellectual Property

Q: We need your advice with a infringing trademark claim.

Loveyogabum has been accused of infringing on Yogabum Limited's Trademark by the owner ( no lawyers involved but he has threatened to go to court if we do not change our name ). We need an definitive answer to help solve this issue. We have changed our name already to suit him back in 2012 and we feel this claim is invalid. Please advise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Only a litigation can resolve it definitely. No attorney can guaranty that the Loveyogabum owner will not sue you. Having said that, you should initiate the litigation by bring a declaratory judgement, in which you claim your noninfringement and let the court decide. By bring the lawsuit by yourself, you will have more control over where to file the suit, such as the state or the court more convenient to your appearance in the court. Your attorney may be able to access how much merit you have. Contact an trademark attorney permitted to practice the law in your state and seek his/her assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.