Albuquerque, NM asked in Family Law for New Mexico

Q: I have had my daughter for 2 yrs and going for custody and now the mom says im not the dad is there a cut off time limit

the mother told me I was the father i was with her thru the pregnancy/birth I had no doubts she is mine I signed the birth certificate with no doubts we lived together for a year with child we broke up cause mo was using drugs a month later the I had a drug test done on the child and she tested positive for meth and said mother was arrested for child abuse and since her arrest has gotten out picked up more charges. The mother hasnt even tried to see her daughter I have been raising her for the last 2 years and I filled for custody pro se and her response is saying Im not the father and named someone else as the father. I really need to know if there is a time limit as to this claim cause if there is a bit of truth on her part this would destroy our lives

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeff Grandjean
Jeff Grandjean
  • Roswell, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: Assuming that you and mother signed a valid acknowledgement of paternity, which in all likelihood you did if you were placed on the birth certificate, then no she cannot challenge it now. Keep in mind though, this answer is based on the limited information you have provided, you should still make contact with an attorney to discuss the issue in more depth.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.